August 13, 2009



I am about to finish my third day here and I am about to drop. I have finally cleaned out my office enough so that the custodian can actually vacuum. I don't know how I would have done it without my wonderful student library assistants. They have really been helpful. Next week I start on the library workroom which has hundreds of videos, and the equipment room. I just want everything in place, in order and it is going to be a job. For those of you who are interested in this sort of thing, here are some of the issues:

1. They had changed almost (to the 800's) all of the Dewey Numbers to only three digits so the kids could shelve the books easier. No more 598.2 or 599.97 or 796.35.
2. Only certain sections of the books are in order. I mean the 800's are just on the shelves in any order, and also the 900's.
3. This is the best! There are 39,000+ items in the Alexandria database. There are no more than 10,000 books on the shelves.
4. The librarian got marc records but did not load them. Instead the aide did brief cataloging on the new books. By brief, she entered the title and the bar code.
5. Many of the bar codes on the books and the computer do not match. For example, on the computer a bar code will match one title, but that exact same bar code will be on an entirely different book.
Mary, RoseMary and Elizabeth, you guys will understand my frustration and also the job ahead of me. I want to do an immediate inventory - but we cannot locate the handheld scanner.

There are hundreds of little prairie dogs around the school. They make holes in the ground and just pop up everywhere. Roxie will go nuts.

Tom and Elizabeth are in Alaska. They bought a 2007 Subaru Outback today. I imagine they will drive to Delta Junction tomorrow. I hope Tom comes on back soon. Well, I hope he comes back period...

I have put in a total of 11 work orders for the technology department.

My aide lived in Anchorage for nine years. What a small world.

I love this very small school - except I have bus duty morning and afternoon with the principal. I like her a lot. She is shorter than Elizabeth.

No comments: