August 11, 2009

We arrived in Zuni yesterday and it seems like two weeks ago. Our apartment in "to die for"! Brand new, twice the size of the apartment we had in Chevak. The grounds are landscaped and there is even an automatic sprinkler system. The air conditioner is a little funky. We turn on the pump fist to get some straw wet on the roof, and then five minutes later we turn on the air. It works.

It is so hot here. Hot like in "Larence of Arabia" hot. We are totally exhausted from the heat. My only relief is that it is going to get cooler in about a month. Today a Zuni man asked us to come watch the dancing in the square. Then he told Tom that since we were not Zuni that we would have to go up on the roof to watch. Uhh - it would be too hot for me on the roof and besides that, how are we going to get up there. We decided to wait till a cooler day. The roof....

My library clerk is fabulous. The library is beautiful. The principal took me to every classroom to meet the teachers and kids this morning. We have our checking account, our post office box, our keys and we are set. If only I could get my computer to print.

The track youngsters were running and exercising in the heat afterschool today. I don't know the temp but it is crazy hot here.

Internet might not be much of an option here. The school intranet is severely structured and my favorite sites are all blocked. I haven't tried Netflx yet - but if it is blocked I might start crying. There is internet available in housing but it is expensive and hardly ever works. So, I don't want to put money out for something that isn't usable and available. Then, and here is the worst - I cannot use my laptop to log onto the internet at school. UMPH! MY frustration level has been reached with the technology here.

Our apartment was not furnished so we had to drive to Gallup yesterday - our first day here - to get a new mattress. We then went to Goodwill and found a couch and two chairs and two endtables. Tom went back this morning (the mornings are cool like air conditioning) and picked up a few necessary items from Wal Mart.

Tomorrow I will drive Tom to Gallup where he will catch the train to Albuqerque - I will learn to spell that. He will then fly to Phoenix to meet Elizabeth and they will fly together up to Anchorage. He will be back in about a week. I'll miss them both.

Maybe I can get some photos loaded tomorrow. I have been swamped with stuff to do.

No comments: