July 25, 2007

We just landed and swapped passengers at Port Lions. Their school has 42 students so I guess there is no library job available. We will land in the city of Kodiak in about two hours. Tom and Charlie plan to disembark and possibly rent a car a drive around a bit. Maybe they will go to the Coast Guard station and visit the commissary to buy some sodas. They might decide to just walk around on land for a while. It is 10:33 right now and Charlie has only opened his eyes twice - once to drink a coke for breakfast and once to ask where we were. He is not pleased about the arrangements.

So, let me describe the arrangements. This ship has about four areas for passengers, one place is the cabins, of which we will have one at 2pm this afternoon - thank heavens. The second area is the dining area -very nice. And the third is the solarium - a place where sleeping bags and tents are set up on the top floor. The fourth place is where most everyone is - the whatever - a lot of seats and a few booths with tables. Last night there were people sleeping in the seats, under the tables, in the booths, around on the floor and in the walkways. It was dark so you could hardly see anyone - but you could sure hear the snoring and body movements. I was working on my computer till late last night when Tom came to get me to get some sleep. I went over to the seats with him and tried to go to sleep sitting up. No way. The boat was really rocking we had some rough weather last night. Then people started throwing up. You couldn't see them, but you could hear them. Finally I had mentally and emotionally convinced myself that I was going to do the same. It was stuffy so I talked Tom into going outside with me where it was very fresh - but cold and wet and windy. We kept going back and forth till finally we went up to the solarium where we could sit but still get fresh air. Finally I got sick enought to throw up - several times. I'm in a dark place, with people sleeping all over the place and I'm hung over the trash can. Tom was wonderful. He held on to me and helped me and stood there while I sat in the only chair available by the trash can. We were up there till probably 3 am by the trash can. I had him go down and get the one sleeping bag we had brought, spread it out right by the trash can and went to sleep on it. Usually I can't do that - sleep on the floor - especially without pillows. But last night I lay down flat on that sleeping bag with Tom and both of us went fast to sleep - sound sleeping for about and hour and half. When we woke up it was getting light already. We went back down to the seats and got settled - I never want to go through that again.

Charlie had been sleeping soundly on the floor on his sleeping bag till Tom got it away from him in the middle of the night - so he is not in a very good mood.

Eveything will be better in about three hours when our berth opens up. There are four beds in there, a table, sink, and privacy. We are going over rough weather again now. A wildlife film about Alaska is showing so it is quieter. Some people are still sleeping, some have food out on the tables snacking, others are computing or movie watching, some are just talking in dirrerent languages. It is sort of stuffy. I'm just glad I chose to get that berth - seven days of this crowd......

Oh before we left last night Tom ordered a pizza from Starvin Marvins Pizza. They said 45 minutes - so Tom is outside the terminal waiting. I had a conversation going with another passenger inside the terminal who told me that they had seen a pizza man in the Salty Dog trying to sell or give away some pizzas. About 10 minutes later Tom came in and said he had called Starvin Marvins back and was told the pizza guy had been fired that he had decided to go drinking at Starvin Marvins. We gave up on the pizza.

We have seen otters and thousands of birds. Lots of Puffins. Weather is foggy, cold, and rainy.
I may post again later this evening - after Kodiak. Maybe Charlie will be awake by then.

No comments: