August 07, 2007

Well, I had the knee surgery today. Man, what an experience. Most impressive was the whole set up of the procedure. The doctor was a Dr. McGuire. I had seen him at my original appointment and felt certainly like my knee was in good hands – he seemed sort of “New York” – a little different from most of the other professionals I have seen this summer, with the exception of Dr. Cusack who seemed a little “Miami”. Anyway today all of nurses and so forth were just as nice as possible – not only to me, but to each other. Everyone was just laughing and getting along. And were they busy! It was like an assembly line with several patients lined up getting knee surgery. Unfortunately I suppose the reason things were so efficient was because this was a private medical practice – albeit a big one – but this wasn’t a hospital. These guys are not “in network” although their prices are a bit lower than the “in-network” guidelines. I was on my way home less than four hours after my arrival.

I’m using an IceMan icepack. It consists of a small blue cooler of ice and a long tube which seeds cool air to a large wrap around my knee. It is wonderful and working beautifully so far. I have only had to take one of my pain medications – the second may have some side effects I don’t want to deal with. I can walk at least as good as I could yesterday, so things should be looking up as the meniscus heals. I am suppose to rest for the next five days. And I have rested today…

Now we have to get our groceries packed and shipped. I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow and I will rest then too. On Thursday I hope to go with Tom to the PX to get our four months of groceries purchased – maybe even for the year, so we don’t have to do that at Christmas. Sooo, I will have to use one of those little motorized carts to go up and down the isles. The commissary is a pretty big place. We have always joked about the day one of us would be riding around a store in one of those motor carts and now here I am!

No comments: