December 31, 2008


The Bender family with the village of Chevak in the background.



Sunset in Chevak.

Our children flew out this morning. Elizabeth called from Anchorage to say how much they liked the Dimond Hotel. I chose it because it is literal in the middle of a huge shopping and entertainment area. Since the truck can no longer travel on the snow and ice safely, they had to go out to the airport on the snow machine pulling a trailer. Charlie sat down in the sled and Liz rode behind Leo on the snow machine. It was pretty cold but they bundled up. I watched the plane take off in the dark (10:45 am) and hoped there was heat on board.

A teacher friend took Charlie out on the snow machine and I think Charlie had a pretty good time. He was able to get away from the village area and really see nothingness for miles and miles. They also went down to the fish camps - which of course are frozen solid right now.

I just hope they had a good time. It was expensive getting them up here and three days is usually about all the togetherness we as a family can take.


Charlie took this one way out in the tundra. I like it.


You can see a couple of the drying racks for the fish. The river of course is frozen.




That is Charlie sitting in the back.


The use this trailer to haul people back and forth and to deliver boxes to folks.


Elizabeth was the lucky one.

1 comment:

Kenny & Amelia said...

I've really enjoyed reading through your blog!! I signed a contract to teach first grade in Chevak at the job fair and have been looking for any additional information about the area I can find. I have a ton of questions if you have the time to respond. My email address is ameliaking2009@yahoo.com. Thank you again for your blog!!