July 15, 2008

Tom has left me at the PX so I can surf the net. He gets bored very quickly when I start surfing. I talked him into going back to our trailer for a nap. Speaking of the trailer, we paid $45 a month to store that thing last year in town. We found a place on post yesterday where we can store it for $10 a month. I had Tom sign up then and there for the whole year. $10 a month!! I'm trying to talk him into storing the truck there two. Problem is we are so far from the airport here - it would be a $40 charge to get a taxi out here - I'm still looking at options there.

We have been passing the time eating at different restaurants. There was a list of recommended places in the paper earlier this month and I cut it out. Let's see, we ate at McGinleys' Pub this evening in downtown Anchorage. I had Fried potato cakes with ham - like a sandwich. Tom had - um - don't remember -something to do with roast beef and potatoes. Had a delicious orange spiced chicken at the Panda across from Sears. We also ate at the Arctic Roadhouse last week - a little place famous for their delicious hamburgers. Yesterday we ate at La Mex, day before at Sorrentos - best lasagna I've ever had. Had great hamburgers for lunch one day at O'Malley's Pub. It has been fun eating out - but we have to stop - well, when we get to the end of the list....

Roxie lost a lot of weight at the kennel - we are trying our hardest to not feed her anything except dog food and we are doing really well.

We had maybe 10 minutes of sunshine yesterday!!!! It was beautiful.

We are planning a little road trip - We will drive to Whittier on Saturday, and then take the ferry to Valdez. I really wanted to go all the way to Cordova and then ferry back to Valdez - but we just don't have enough time and it is expensive. We will stay two nights in Valdez and get up early on the third day to travel to McCarthy. We'll stay in McCarthy two nights and then travel north to Tok. Remember that 60 mile dirt road from McCarthy to Chitina takes 3 hours at least. So, hoping we get to Tok. The next day we head to Dawson, Yukon Canada. (Assuming our passports arrive from GA before we leave.) We will be there for two days - splurging on a hotel since we will have been tenting the first part of the trip. (It costs over $90 for a tank of gas for the truck.) After Dawson, we head to Paxson where we will go straight west to Cantwell. It is a dirt road and I hope we have no problems. I'm thinking this trip will take 10 days. We are taking Roxie so it should be fun. We had mailed our air mattresses to ourselves from GA - and now want to find a automatic pump to blow them up. I'm not looking forward to this tenting - but we tented most of the way up two years ago and had loads of fun - so surely I can get back into the swing of things. I think I am a little more aware of the wildlife issues now - yikes! In fact a bear turned over our empty ice chest in the Elmendorf camping area this past week. I wanted to get a photo of the paw prints - but Tom washed it off too quickly. One guy had food in his ice chest and lost it all! He was in big trouble. You aren't supposed to keep any food outside cause the bears are attracted to it.

I finished watching the entire series of OZ. I am now watching The Shield from the beginning season. There's no difference in the behavior of the characters and the plots on these two shows - one just happens to be a prison and the other happens to be a police station. At least the language is not as bad on The Sheild. we are trying to rent only 99¢ movies this summer.

I'm ramlbing.

No comments: