February 17, 2007




Our book fair was successful. Those kids and their parents and the teachers at school bought more than $2200 worth of 1/2 price books. The two winners of the red hot guestimation were thrilled. We sold books for three days straight, had door prizes for each class and awarded a Valentine's Day Cake to the highest purchasing class which ended up being Heidi's 6th hour reading class. What was unusual about this fair was that teachers helped me out. Carmen, Mary from 3rd grade, Parker from 1st grade, Stewart from 2nd grade and Maretta from 2nd grade all came down after school and stayed through my open house. Actually I don't think I have ever, in almost 30 years of books fairs, had teachers to come in and help set up, take down, and work after school to help me. I think it says a little about this wonderful faculty! Hope I can post some photos - but am having a bit of trouble getting them to upload.
Several ball teams flew in or snow machined in yesterday. There's a big basketball tounament this week. The boys from Marshall spent the day in the library reading and computing. They may not have a library there. There was an impromtu dance planned after the ball games ended Friday night, so I called Deanne, the sponsor, to offer our Valentine's Day decorations for the dance. The girls ran down to get the beautiful decorations we had made and were really excited about dressing up the cafeteria. It is so different here. In Stone Mountain a couple of students would just run down to Party City and buy stuff ready made!
Saw a wonderful Robson Green movie, Me and Mrs. Jones. Tom even liked it. This weekend I am going to try my best to get this Alaska class finished. I have to take it to get my permanent certification. The weather has been great this week, cold but no high winds. The days have been quite bright and sunny - just beautiful. I am really looking forward to the long daylight this summer.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Bender said...

They look so cute. I'm glad that you had a great time and that all the teachers helped. I miss you guys lots.
Love you.