January 26, 2007



Our second blizzard is in full swing! It started during the school day yesterday. In the morning the temperature was –21. Carmen’s thermometer didn’t go any lower than that. During the day we kept peeking outside to har far we could see and everything was pretty much white. Well after about 20 feet anyway. By the time Tom came to walk me home it was scary. We wrapped up with everything we had and Tom was smart enough to have his goggles with him. We pushed the outside door and stepped outside into the whitest white I have ever seen. I could see nothing – not one structure anywhere. Tom had his goggles and could see a few feet ahead. We turned to the right at the bottom of the steps and I hung onto his arm and he sort of drugged me along. Now I would never think of this, but Tom had keep track of the number of steps to the turn down toward the teacher housing. So, he knew about where to turn left. Me, I would be out on the lake somewhere trudging toward nothingness. I could not keep my eyes open for more than a second. The whirling snow and ice was bitter cold and hard hitting. I looked up several times to see where we were – but I don’t know why because there was nothing but white. Tom, however, had those goggles and after we made the turn he could see an occassional partial outline of whatever house we were nearest. Again he knew about how far to go and before long we were at the corner of our house – where Tom religiously shovels a snow path every day. So even though it was filling up once again – we could see the beginning of the path beside our house. So, I will say that I was pretty glad to get home and could not have done it without Tom. I would’ve had to stay at school overnight. I remember thinking when we we trudging along in that white, white space that we could easily go the wrong way and end up in a snow bank somewhere and really no one would know. Till after the storm. It wasn’t like you could see anything or hear anything over the noise of the wind. I don’t know how these people do it up here – practice maybe. All in all it was an experience I will certainly count as an exciting one No school today – the blizzard continues and it is too bad for people, especially kids, to be outside. The wind is whirling and has been for over 24 hours now, and it is still snowing. We went out earlier to walk the dog and took a few photos – very hard to hold the camera still but we got a couple of good ones. I just hope all the kids are warm in the village.
One photo shows me in the snow on our porch – you can hardly see me. One shows me in the blizzard early this morning. I only pulled my scarf down for the photo – just for a second. I took the one of Tom walking Rox. Notice Roxy’s little footies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love Roxie's footies! Does she have more clothing? It seems that every dog here in Georgia has an extensive wardrobe, even though we've had a mild winter so far. Even Wal-Mart sells pet clothing!
Always enjoy your postings...
Jo Z