November 07, 2006

I really like this new blog. I found a book at school today (one of the $59,000 order) on making a blog on Google so maybe I can personalize this a bit since I now have some directions. Most people just jump in there and make the blog and figure out everything on their own– but I need directions and lots of them. The photo shows the thing they rigged up to keep the school warm those three days the heat was off.

We finished two days of staff development – it is hard sitting for two days but the class was great – on cooperative grouping (Kagan). I wanted to relate a partial story I overheard yesterday and you will see how different and dangerous things are here. A lawyer arrived to do some business here at Chevak this past weekend. Unfortunately the person who was to meet him at the new airport did not show up. By the time he realized he wasn’t going to be picked up – everybody else had cleared out. There’re only a few people on each plane and 4-wheelers are usually there to meet them and then zoom off. There’s no body on duty out there and certainly no phone. Well the lawyer looked at the road – which swings out away from Chevak and then back into the village (it is a new road just for that new airport). He then looked at the village … and took a shortcut straight into town. He walked about half way and then came to where the lake started – except he did not know it was water because it was covered with ice and snow. He continued to walk out on the lake (which he thought was ground) and then the ice broke and he fell in. The problem was he didn’t know the shortest way out or even if it was a lake or a river or a puddle. He didn’t know which direction to go…He did make it alive to the main office but I heard he was pretty frozen. I still have to get the full story – don’t know if someone spotted him out there in the lake or he just walked in two foot of icy water till he got to shore. He would have had to climb back up on the ice at some point. Poor guy – I can really imagine that happening to me! I just thought – he wasn’t a “poor guy”, he was lucky the lake is only two feet deep, and he was lucky the village bordered the lake. What if the lake had been deeper and the village was not in sight.

No comments: